Knorr-Bremse EBS5 for Mercedes trucks2022-09-01
Knorr-Bremse EBS5 (Mercedes-Benz truck)
Module works together with other control units in the truck and is responsible for effective braking.
We will as well cover which programming operations can be performed with AutoVEI tools and Truck Explorer software.
There were few different types of EBS modules, that can be found in Mercedes trucks:
Today we are going to discuss about Knorr-Bremse EBS5 particularly. This model can be found in SFTP Euro 6 MP4 trucks.
Article with more depth information about Mercedes Wabco EBS modules you can check it out here:
How to determine Knorr-Bremse EBS5 from other modules?
It is very easy to notice, that your truck has this module. It is written on the cover, that it’s Knorr-Bremse, with Mercedes-Benz sign.
Wabco models will have engraved the name on the metal cover.
This module has MPC562 processor. (Flash: S29CD016J; EEPROM: 95640)
Also, when you connect to the truck with Truck Explorer, the software will show you which EBS version your truck has, in the log on the right side.
Newest Truck Explorer software release allows you to connect to these modules and perform these functions:
Read/write full flash & eeprom in BDM mode.
- very useful if your EBS if faulty and memory needs to be recovered;
- after changing to new MCU, you can program needed memory files;
- can be used for cloning;
- need to open control unit and solder adapter.
Video tutorial how to read MB Wabco EBS in BDM mode: coming soon
Read/write full flash & eeprom in DC2 mode.
- quick and easy connection on the bench with cable;
- control module is taken out of the truck, but no need to open it;
- can be used to diagnose the module;
- can be used for cloning.
Video tutorial how to read MB Knorr-Bremse EBS in DC2 mode: coming soon
Read/write full flash & eeprom by OBD mode.
- quick and easy connection by On-board diagnostic port.
- control module is inside truck.
- can be used for cloning.
Video how to read/write MB Knorr-Bremse EBS by OBD
- Read/erase fault codes
- Parameters change (VIN number, etc.)
Hardware and license requirements:
To work with these modules and access functions above, you will need to get your hardware ready and make sure you have needed licenses:
- VEI V6 or V7 device
- Direct Connect 2U tool with OBD2 power cable
- DC2U-EBS5-MB-Knorr cable (White/White)
- DC2U-ISP-JTAG-BDM dongle
- DC2U-BDM10 to MHD10 cable (for dongle)
- License DC2
- License EBS
- Software version from v7.0
How to connect?
When your equipment is ready, connect your VEI device to truck or directly to the EBS by cable with Direct Connect 2U tool.
Note: for BDM connection manual and how to solder adapter look in your MyVEI user account.
Open Truck Explorer software and choose:
- On-board diagnostics (OBD) or
- Direct Connect or
- Direct Connect BSL/JTAG/…
- DC2-EBS5 (Knorr)
- Press CONNECT
When connected, on the right bottom corner you can see all the information about your EBS module.
On the left-hand side, you will see tabs in the menu:
- “Memory-EBS” – to analyze memory of EBS module and read/write flash&eeprom files.
- “Parameters EBS” – to change VIN code
- “Fault codes” – to perform diagnostics
And that sums everything up. Now you know how to determine EBS5 from other EBS modules and which programming functions is available with Truck Explorer.
If you still have difficulties, for example which cable is needed or how to perform particular function, please contact us.